Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Poster Research - Ancillary texts



Before I designed my own promotional poster I have researched and looked into the conventions and layouts of promotional movie posters, particulary that are related to my film's genre.
What I have found from researching film posters is that almost everyone, apart from in this case, Ghost Ship (but this might be because it is a re-make) that the central charcter and characters are prominant in the foreground, as shown in the poster 'The Others'. As Nicole Kidman is a very internationally well-known, highly paid actress, she is the main focus and selling point of the poster/film, this creates a wider appeal to audiences; male gaze theory, supernatural genre and lead female actress. What I have found is that the highest selling point of the film is normally the most prominant object on the posters, such as Reese Witherspoon in the 'Just like Heaven' poster and Nicole Kidman in 'The Others' poster as they are internationally known actresses and are the highest selling point of the film.
Like a DVD the main promotional poster has small written credits, to show who directed it, who acted in it etc.The title is the biggest font on the poster and the tag line is often in the same font. The title has to stand out and be in keeping with the genre of the film. For example in 'Wristcutters' the font has 'cut' to give the effect of slitting a wrist and in 'The Others' the font signifies a much more spooky genre, due to the lighting effect bleeding from the letters.
From these posters, non of them have a BBFC rating on them so I have not put one on my film poster. My font is also, hopefully going to signify the genre of my film by using the opacity tool on photoshop to signify a ghost-like quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment