Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Magazine article research- Ancillary texts.

The second ancillary text I have chosen is a magazine article, which casts a review of my short film, 'Stranded.'


I have reseached into film magazines such as Total Film and Empire, observing their layout and the context of the article.





Eventhough I am not creating a Magazine cover I have still observed that because, for example here Empire have sent
there titles behind the actor Hugh Jackman, simply because Empire can offered it. They are a welll-known established magazine and for this reason also they are more likely to write reviews about well-known, higher-budget feature films, like X-men. On their website however they do have very brief reviews about short films, but their duration being the length of an actual feature film.










I also looked at the smaller film magazine, British Film. British film magazines are the same as British films, they will not get made without the involvment of several backers. Unlike Total Film and Empire, British Film has a whole range of independant movies and short films, so if my magazine review where an actual true media text, British Film would be the type of magazine it would be published in.


From looking at the articles inside these magazines I have observed some characteristics in designing an article. There are several things that can be included such as,
  • Stills from the film
  • Posters, teaser or promotional, or both
  • Always drop quotes in so it brakes up the text and makes it look more asthetically pleasing.
  • It is a common trend that there are about three columns per page or two if the article is smaller. This again makes it look more asthetically pleasing but also breaks up the text so it is an easier read for the reader.
  • Small captions can be used on, above or below a picture.
  • Outlines and borders are used
  • Importantly there is a colour scheme throughout the article.
  • Other forms of media or advertised such as websites and video games

For my magazine review, as it as of a supernatural genre a believe a black, grey and white colour scheme would suit it best and would also tie into my film as my film was in black and white.



Text boxes can be used to to help break up the text and to make it much more asthetically pleasing for the reader. If an article looks inviting thet would be more inclinde to read it.

Recommendations are also provided, simliar to the genre of the film, ones that might interest the reader. Facts and figures can be provided, such as the productions budget, the duration of the film, who starred in it, etc. I believe this would be a good little overview of my film which I could put at the end of my article.

Normally in a magazine such as Empire or Total film a feature film would expect to get at least six pages in the magazine, obviously being that by film had no budget, is much more heading towards a social-realistic genre and is only five minutes long I would not expect my film to get half of those pages. I would put my article, theoretically in a film such as British film magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment